Thursday, July 5, 2018

Virtual Reality in the Classroom





I just finished reading the article 5 Ways Teachers Can Use Virtual and Augmented Reality in the Classroom By Kate Stoltzfus.  Kate spoke with Jamie Donally, who is an advocate to using some virtual reality in the classroom.  As a younger teacher, I do use some VR in my classroom.  We have some headsets available in our media center, and I check them out for beginning or ending of our science units.  I can see why Donally runs into hesitancy with teachers- if you aren’t given training or support of how to use something new, it is a lot more work on your end!  I have helped my team use our provided VR technology, as well as some books in our library that come to life, and once they had a hands on experience with the virtual reality, it was easier for them to find a time when they could fit this into their teaching.  I totally agree that we had to have conversations with students about appropriate amounts of time on technology, and that is something we teach at the very beginning of the unit.  The first time my classroom gets to see and use a VR headset is with our rocks and minerals unit.  We use the VR world to explore caves, canyons and glaciers.  It is really cool to get to see the children get excited because they are no longer seeing just a picture, but feel they can actually explore!  Overall, I plan on using VR technology in my classrooms, and hopefully we continue to receive the newer versions of this technology as they become available.


No comments: